Summer fruit salad
Sweet summer salad
Summer fruit salad is a refreshing fruit-based dessert that only takes five minutes to prepare.
Juicy pieces of watermelon with holes cut out of them act as ‘bowls’ for slices of seasonal fruit.
Australian summer fruit: watermelon, white nectarines and sweet plums are what makes this dessert so appetising.
Watermelon bowls are filled with fragrant white nectarine and sweet plum slices. Fresh lime juice & zest is sprinkled over the fruit to add zing. Honey provides a floral sweetness and ginger is scattered over the salad for some heat and spiciness.
Ginger and watermelon
You should make summer fruit salad because it is:
- Seasonal: watermelon, nectarines and plums are now in season (summer).
- A quick and easy dessert.
- Refreshing and light: perfect for summer.
- Healthier: full of vitamin-rich, fresh fruit.
- Budget-friendly: this recipe’s main element is seasonal fruit that is normally inexpensive.
Summer fruit salad’s main ingredients:
Tips for busy cooks
Fill the watermelon bowls with whichever seasonal fruit you have in your fruit bowl. Berries and other stone fruit would also work well.
Use a lemon if you don’t have a lime.
- Dessert: eat this refreshing fruit salad on a summer’s evening.
- Breakfast: enjoy this sweet treat on a warm morning.
- Snack: have one of these watermelon bowls as a mini-meal.
A delicious dessert that’s easy to make
Summer fruit salad: sweet, seasonal fruit with lime, honey and ginger. A simple dessert that tastes so good.
Which summer fruits did you use to fill the watermelon bowls?
Let me know by leaving a comment and a recipe rating below – I’d love to hear from you.
Do you need more summer fruit recipes? Try this recipe next: poached peaches with raspberry frozen yogurt
Summer fruit salad
- 600 g watermelon
- 1 white nectarine stone removed, flesh sliced
- 1 sweet plum stone removed, flesh sliced
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 2 tsp runny honey
- 12 g Buderim Ginger’s Naked Ginger roughly chopped
Cut watermelon into two large triangular pieces (leaving the rind on). Cut out a 4-5cm diameter hole from the top of the flesh of each watermelon chunk. Roughly chop the watermelon that you have cut out and reserve for later.
Arrange the nectarine and plum slices in each of the cut out watermelon holes. Add the chopped watermelon, squeeze over the lime juice and grate the lime rind over the fruit. Drizzle honey over the fruit salad and sprinkle ginger over the top.
Serve cold on its own or with plain yogurt.