Homemade spiced lentil crackers
Homemade lentil crackers
Homemade spiced lentil crackers: crispy red lentil crackers spiced with coriander, cumin, turmeric and mustard powder are perfect to dunk into roasted pumpkin and sumac dip.
These orange coloured crackers and tasty dip would go really well with a glass of red wine or as part of a picnic to share with friends.
I ate some of the crackers and dip on gorgeous Shelly Beach on a bright and sunny day as part of a picnic lunch.
Curry flavours in a cracker
The split red lentils in these crackers give them a bit more substance than store-bought crackers and add an almost nutty quality to the texture. A spice mix of coriander, cumin, turmeric and mustard powder gives an Indian curry flavour and the butter helps the crackers to melt in your mouth.
You should make spiced lentil crackers because they are:
- Tasty crackers inspired by Indian flavours – perfect for a summer picnic.
- Freezer-friendly: make a batch of these crackers to put in the freezer.
- Budget-friendly: inexpensive store-cupboard ingredients are at the heart of this recipe.
Homemade spiced lentil crackers’ main ingredients:
- Split red lentils
Tips for busy cooks
You can use curry powder instead of the four separate spices if you like.
To save time, you could use tinned brown lentils (that have been drained) instead of cooked red lentils.
- Picnic: eat some homemade spiced lentil crackers and dip outside for lunch.
- Snack: enjoy a couple of crackers and dip with a glass of wine before dinner.
- Afternoon tea: have a couple of crackers with a cup of tea.
- Work lunch: pack some homemade crackers in your lunchbox to enjoy for your midday meal.
No more store-bought crackers
Enjoy these homemade spiced lentil crackers and roasted pumpkin & sumac dip as a snack, as part of a picnic or with a glass of wine. These crackers are portable so you could also pack them up to eat for your lunch at work. Make them today and you will never want to buy store-bought crackers again.
What did you eat with these crackers?
Let me know by leaving a comment and a recipe rating below – I’d love to hear from you.
Homemade spiced lentil crackers
- 70 g split red lentils * see Recipe Notes
- 20 g unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp plain flour plus extra for flouring
- ½ tsp dried cumin
- ½ tsp dried ground coriander
- ¼ tsp dried ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp dried mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 180°C fan. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
Spread cooked lentils on one of the baking trays. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Add melted butter to lentils and mix with a fork.
Add flour, cumin, coriander, turmeric, mustard powder, salt and pepper to the lentils. Mash with a fork until evenly combined. Bring dough together with your hands and place between two sheets of lightly floured greaseproof paper. Roll out to 3 mm thickness with a rolling pin. Cut out desired cracker shape with a biscuit cutter or freehand with a sharp knife (I cut out twelve 4 cm wide x 7 cm long rectangles). Carefully transfer the crackers to a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove from oven and cool crackers on a wire rack.
To serve: Eat with roasted pumpkin and sumac dip.
*cook dried split red lentils until tender in boiling water as per packet instructions then drain them.
Makes approximately 10 to 12 rectangular crackers.