Healthy green soup
Would you like to eat more greens?
My healthy green soup is full of green veggies.
Fresh broccoli and kale are the key ingredients that make this soup so vibrantly green in colour. Potatoes add a velvety smoothness and red onions provide a hint of sweetness.
Bursting with spring vegetables, this soup is naturally vegetarian and is vegan-friendly if you swap the plain yogurt garnish for a vegan yogurt.
It is easy to make and is freezer-friendly – ideal to batch cook at the weekend.
Dip a giant breadstick into your soup
Giant breadsticks go wonderfully with this dish. These large homemade breadsticks are perfect to dip into the soup.
I ate this vivid green soup with a giant breadstick on Shelly Beach after a long walk. The soup transports well in a flask and the breadsticks are portable as well so are perfect for a picnic or a filling work lunch.
You should make healthy green soup because it is:
- Healthier: mainly made from vibrant green vegetables.
- Seasonal: broccoli, kale and potatoes are now in season (spring).
- Freezer-friendly: make a batch at the weekend to have during the week.
- Budget-friendly: inexpensive seasonal veggies are the main ingredients of this soup.
- Quick and easy: cook in one saucepan in under forty minutes.
Green soup’s main ingredients:
- Vegetable stock
Tips for busy cooks
You can use frozen broccoli and kale instead of fresh if you prefer.
Make a batch of this soup at the weekend and freeze it so you have a delicious lunch available to you during the week.
- Starter: serve a small portion of the soup and one breadstick per person.
- Work lunch: put the soup in a flask and take it with you to work.
- Alfresco meal: pack the soup and breadsticks as a picnic and eat them
Eat your greens in a hearty soup
This nourishing soup is a great way to eat more green vegetables. It is easy to make and is full of the flavours of spring.
Where will you eat this healthy green soup – on the beach; at home or at work?
Let me know by leaving a comment and a recipe rating below – I’d love to hear from you.
Healthy green soup
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of broccoli approx. 230g, chopped
- 80 g kale chopped
- 80 g red onion peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 280 g potatoes peeled and diced
- 100 g celery chopped
- 2 tsp fresh parsley keep a couple of leaves aside for garnish
- Plain yogurt to garnish (or use a plain vegan yogurt)
- Salt and pepper
In a large saucepan fry oil, garlic and celery over a moderate heat for 5 minutes.
Add potato, broccoli stalks, kale stalks and most of the parsley (keep some leaves aside for garnish). Stir and fry for 4 minutes. Add vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add chopped broccoli florets and chopped kale leaves. Stir, cover and simmer for 7 minutes until the florets are cooked. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Puree cooled soup until smooth in a blender adding salt and pepper to taste.
Reheat soup in a large saucepan and transfer to bowls. Dollop a small spoonful of plain yogurt into each bowl and garnish with parsley leaves.
Serve this soup with giant breadsticks