Cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes
Italian-style bean stew with mash
Cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes is a vegetarian dinner dish that is quick and easy to prepare.
A bean stew and mash recipe that is ideal to serve as a veggie main for an evening meal or for lunch.
Speedy comfort food that is satisfying and delicious.
Mediterranean flavours in a white bean casserole, served with an indulgent cheese & potato mash.
Soft cannellini beans, vegetables, tomatoes and oregano make up the body of this vegetarian bean stew. Cooked potatoes are combined with butter and cheddar cheese to create a creamy mash that tastes great with the stew.
Takes only 25 minutes to prepare
This straightforward meal takes under 30 minutes to make. The basic steps of the recipe are as follows:
To make the cheesy mashed potatoes:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with butter.
- Mix the cheese into the mash.
To make the stew:
- Fry the oil, onion, garlic, carrot, and capsicum.
- Add the cannellini beans, plum tomatoes, water and oregano & cook until the flavours have developed.
You should make cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes because it is:
- A comfort food that is great for vegetarians.
- Quick to make – this recipe takes less than 30 minutes to cook.
- Easy to prepare in advance – make the stew and mash in advance and simply reheat them before serving.
- Budget-friendly – using mostly store-cupboard ingredients and vegetables.
Cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes’ main ingredients:
- Cheddar cheese
- Red capsicum
- Cannellini beans
- Plum tomatoes
Tips for busy cooks
Potatoes – I use unpeeled potatoes that have been thoroughly washed & scrubbed. If you don’t like the texture of the peel in the mash, peel the potatoes before you cook them.
Cannellini beans – if you don’t have cannellini beans in your cupboard, you could use half a can of borlotti or haricot beans instead.
Make in advance – both the stew and the mash can be prepared in advance and heated up before serving.
- Dinner – enjoy a bowl of this cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes with some steamed vegetables.
- Lunch – pack some of this bean stew and mash in your lunchbox, heat it up in the microwave at work and eat it for your midday meal.
Mediterranean-flavoured bean stew and cheesy potatoes
Cannellini bean stew with cheesy mashed potatoes is an Italian-inspired, vegetarian main meal. Dried oregano gives the bean stew a Mediterranean flavour that goes perfectly with the white beans, vegetables and plum tomatoes.
Did you eat this bean stew and mash for dinner or lunch?
Let me know by leaving a comment and a recipe rating below – I’d love to hear from you.
Got leftover cannellini beans? Make this recipe next: roasted onion and white bean dip with cayenne toasts
More vegetarian dinner recipes that you may like:
- Risoni-stuffed mushrooms
- Yorkshire puddings with roasted beetroot
- Ricotta and capsicum spaghetti with cheesy bread
Cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes
Cannellini bean stew and cheesy mashed potatoes is a vegetarian dinner dish that is quick and easy to prepare. A Mediterranean-flavoured bean stew and mash.
- 1 kg potatoes cut into large chunks *see Recipe Notes
- 20 g butter
- 80 g cheddar cheese vegetarian, grated
Cannellini bean stew
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g onion (approx. 2 medium), peeled & chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled & crushed
- 150 g carrot (approx. 2 medium), chopped
- 200 g red capsicum (approx. 1 medium), deseeded & chopped
- 200 g cannellini beans (approx. ½ a 400g can), drained *see Recipe Notes
- 400 g can plum tomatoes
- 200 ml boiling water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Black pepper ground
Cheesy mashed potatoes – put the (unpeeled) potatoes in a large saucepan, cover them with water and bring them to the boil over a high heat. Turn the heat down, put a lid on the saucepan and simmer them on a medium heat for 20 minutes. (Note: make the bean stew while the potatoes cook). Drain the potatoes in a colander and put them back in the saucepan with the butter. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and butter together, then add the cheese. Mash the potatoes, butter and cheese until they are combined. Set aside & cover. Warm the mashed potatoes up just before serving.
Cannellini bean stew – add the oil to a large saucepan and put it on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and capsicum to the saucepan. Stir and fry for 10 minutes. Add the cannellini beans, tomatoes, water, oregano and pepper. Stir, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
To serve (hot): Put a ring of (hot) cheesy mashed potatoes in a large, shallow soup bowl (or plate) and ladle the cannellini stew into the centre.
*Potatoes – I use unpeeled potatoes that have been thoroughly washed & scrubbed. If you don’t like the texture of the peel in the mash, peel the potatoes before you cook them.
*Cannellini beans – if you don’t have cannellini beans in your cupboard, you could use half a can of borlotti or haricot beans instead.